How Testing Works (More Details)

Begin here for those wishing to become a tester of Crochet Garden patterns. Note: Before getting activated, you must send an email requesting to be a tester to the email address on post in this forum. All activations are done manually - this keeps spammers away, and allows us to get to know you!

How Testing Works (More Details)

Postby Lisa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm

TESTER GUIDELINES AND TUTORIAL: Updated 2023

Welcome to the Crochet Garden Testing Forum! Many testers have been here since 2005, and love to meet new ones! Thank you so much for volunteering your time (and patience (hah)! Below are some guidelines to help you through the process in how to become a tester, and then how to test here.

(1.) Becoming A Tester And Coming Back As A Tester
A. The first thing you will want to do is register on the forum here.
B. Send an email with the following all answered to (no spaces): testing @ crochetgarden. com (no spaces) with the following:

1. Username that you used to register on the testing forum here (so I know who you are)
2. Ravelry name (if you have one), if you do not have one, write that.
3. How long you have been crocheting
4. Are you a designer or plan to be one, if so, and what is your website if you have one?
5. Your IG and TikTok names if you have them.
6. Why do you want to test for the Crochet Garden?
7. What kinds of patterns do you like- baby wear, accessories (hats, scarves, mittens), home décor, afghans, adult wear, etc?
8. Any other information you would like to let me know

That's it, then wait for your activation.

(2.) During The Process Of Becoming A Tester
While you are waiting, feel free to read the information below. Many of the testers here have been here since this the first year it was founded.

(3.) How Do I Know When I Have Been Approved For Testing?
After you have submitted your questionnaire via email you will eventually receive an email that you have been approved. Feel free to send an email to testing at crochetgarden dot com to check in! Sometimes I miss things being in the little corner through the midnight hours crocheting away.

TESTING RULES AND GUIDELINES
1. POSTING PHOTOS

Please do not post any photos publicly until the pattern has been released. This includes but is not limited to, any online forums, Ravelry, any yahoo groups, etc. The photos you take can be posted in the forum you are testing it in. Please also refrain from discussing, posting about stitches, techniques, etc anywhere except the testing forum. Thank you!

2. SHARING PATTERNS
During testing you will download many versions of the pattern you are testing. Once testing is complete you will receive a final version of the pattern for your use only. Please do not share this pattern. You are welcome to sell whatever you make from my patterns! Please post a link to the pattern or some sort of credit. Thank you :)

3. NUMBER OF PATTERNS TESTING AT ONE TIME

If you are new here, you must complete testing one pattern before testing more. You are welcome to sign up for as many as you like, but will be limited to completing your first test before allowed to test the others. After you have completed your first test, you can test up to 3 more patterns at a time. Veteran testers and level 2 and up testers can test as many as they wish. (Note: This is subject to change).

4. Many photos are posted on the board, especially in the testing areas. You are not allowed to take anyone's photos- Including mine! :)

HOW DOES TESTING WORK
1. LEVELS

The Crochet Garden Testing Forum uses a Level System. When you first start testing, you will be automatically entered into a Level 1 usergroup, called Rosebuds. Graduation from one level to another is upon approval of myself and Crochet Garden mods.

When you gain a level, for example, Level 2, you can test anything in the Level 2 forum as well as the level 1 forum. As you gain Levels, you also gain access to different patterns available to testing, to patterns that will be published in a magazine or book, to even becoming a stitcher of items for a book or a stitcher for items that will be published on the Crochet Garden website. (see STITCHERS)

From time to time, a tester may go back one level, or even a few levels. This does not mean anything necessarily bad. Mostly, it is because one has been absent from the board. No worries, just let me know when you are back! We like to run things nice and tight here :)

Another reason a tester may go back levels is not completing testing projects. Now, we all know how life can be (especially mine, it is very unpredictable and chaotic!!) Simply shoot me a private message or an email, and just let me know what is going on. Do NOT feel obligated to tell me what is going on. It is your life, and if you want to tell me, then that is fine. Whether it is a party, a sad event, etc, just let me know, hey I will not be able to finish this test, or hey would you mind if I finished this up a few weeks late etc. Sometimes, you may just hate the pattern. This is valid too!! This biggest thing here is communication. Just let me know what's up or that you will be gone.

Here is an overview of the 3 first levels:
Level 1: Newcomers to the board, or those returning back.
-Can test projects in the Level 1 forums.

Level 2:
-Can testing anything in the Level 1 and Level 2 forums.

Level 3:
-Can test anything in the Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 forums.
-Can participate in lottery for points
-Can be a stitcher.

2. STORE, POINTS, AND LOTTO
Currently on hold.
In various areas of the Crochet Garden Testing Forum, you can earn points in 2 major ways.
A. Lotto: Top right click on Crochet Points And Lotto)
You can play your odds at the lotto and try and win points. The lotto always states when the next lotto will be. If you are Level 2, there are some lottos that will have prizes in addition to the points! (see Levels above)
B. Posting
You will see that you receive points for posting in certain forums. Some areas you gain more points than others. Helping out and posting in the SUPPORT FORUM yields points, as well as in each individual testing forum.

You can use these points to redeem prizes in the STORE. Click here to see the Store. Depending on your level, you can shop in the level 2 or Level 3 store.

Items in the store can vary and can include crochet-related items, to items around the house, to surprise boxes where what is in them is a surprise! Now, the cost of points for these can vary too. But if you think about the times where you have gone to a carnival and turned in your tickets, it is kind of like that. Points do not translate into a particular dollar amount. So some items may seem ridiculously high, but that is the point of it, to make it fun, and to get prizes like turning in tickets (points).

HOW TO TEST
When you go into the main forum, which will be Rosebuds for Level 1 (as an example), you will see various posts with the name of an item up for testing, and then in brackets one of the following terms: [OPEN], [CLOSED], [ON HOLD]. Open means you can sign up for it. Closed means you cannot sign up for it, because either testing has started and it is full, testing is done for it, or it was canceled. If you see on hold, this usually means it is not ready for testing, or I am not ready to begin testing for it.

SIGNUP
When you see something [OPEN] that you want to test, read the post that tells about the pattern. It will show a photo, the yarn used, sometimes the skill level (sometimes not), sometimes it will give a time frame for when it is due. If there are multiple sizes, you will see them listed. If you are the first to sign up, then copy the list of sizes in the original post, then hit reply to the thread, and paste the list in your post. Then, add your name beside the size you wish to test. If you are not the first person to sign up, copy the list of sizes in the post above yours (not in the original post) and paste it into your reply and add your name beside the size you wish to test. I do not go through threads looking at each post. I look at the last post and add everyone to the usergroup.

You can double up on sizes (more than one person testing the same size), unless the original post has restrictions. Sometimes, I need certain sizes tested, etc. If there is a restriction to doubling up on sizes, there is one thing that trumps this, and that is having a child to try on that you can post a photo of so I can check fit, or you have an adult to try it on (such as yourself) or a friend or an adult child, that you can post a photo of to check for fit.

Once you are accepted into testing, and once the forum is activated and you are added to a usergroup, you can check the original thread in the forum where the signup thread was posted, and you will see me post saying testing has begun. Below that area will be an area called "TESTING." This is where all testing will take place. You will not see this until you start your first test. If you see that I have posted testing has begun, and you do not see the forum for the project you are testing, send me a private message on the board. Sometimes I inadvertently miss putting someone in (I think everyone here can attest to at one time having been left out of a group - eep!). Also, even if a thread has a post saying testing has begun, even if it is still open, you can still signup.

TESTING TIME FRAME

Most projects will have an approximate testing time posted in the original signup thread. However, this timeframe is very flexible. Sometimes they are put on hold, sometimes it is basically a work-at-your-own-pace. I usually only put in deadlines when I know I need to release something at a certain time, or it is needed to be in by a deadline for publication in say a magazine or a book. Usually though, if it has a hard deadline, I will say so that way you have a heads-up that this one is set in stone. Otherwise, normal testing, it is just everyone working at a steady pace.

TESTING FORUM THREADS
Once you have been accepted for testing, and you see the "Testing" area open up to you, and you see the forum with the name of the item you are testing, you will then see 5 threads that are stickies. Stitckies are posts made in a forum that stay there at the top. Here is a rundown on each of them:

A. Photos Thread
This is the thread where all photos will be posted. You can post photos of work in progress, final photos, photos of areas you may be having problems with etc.

B. Usage Thread
This is where you will post your name as you wanted put in the pattern for credit for testing. Also, here you will add in the hook size you used to get gauge, the yarn you used and the amount of yarn you used, and the size you completed.

C. Typos and Formatting Thread
This is the thread you will use to post about typos and formatting issues. Now, there will most likely be lots of formatting issues such as: photos off a page, items needing bolding, footer has wrong version written in it, etc,. The typos can consist of anything from spelling errors, capitalization issues, having some stitches in uppercase and others in lowercase, etc. Think of this thread for cosmetics. Now, if there is a stitch count error, or a stitch count labeled wrong, there are not typos. These you would make their own post. The reason is, those are errors. You can get by in a pattern with something not capitalized, or a photo off-center. Hopefully this makes sense. When in doubt, it doesn't matter, as long as it gets posted.

Another thing to note about this forum, when looking to see if the typo corrections have made it into the next version, I will post in the actual typos thread and say something like, "all of the above typos have been correction for version such and such." If you see more posts made below my last post, then they have not been corrected yet. Sometimes, I may post a new version, without correcting the typos yet. Typos tend to fall at the bottom of the totem pole, per se :)

D. Download Thread
This is where you will download the pattern and its new versions. When you print, (if you print), choose the lightest setting you can, and print on the back if you can. It is not uncommon to have 4-6 versions of a pattern during the testing process. If you subscribe to this thread, you will get a notification when there are new posts made. I will always bump this thread when I post a new version. I usually will not post a new version until there are a few corrections (not including typos and formatting) or this one large very important correction.

In the original post, I will also give some notes as to what was changed. So you may see Version 1C: Corrected issues with Rnd 3 of yoke. Sometimes however, you will just see a general note: "All corrections to date are in this version." SEE POSTING CORRECTIONS for more information on versions.

E. Suggestions Thread
Post here any suggestions you have to make the pattern better, or any ideas or thoughts you may have.

POSTING CORRECTIONS

When you go to post a correction, please put the following into the subject line of your post:
-Version (see footer of pattern)
- Round/row number
- Size you are working
- Section, such as: Yoke, crown, Layer 2, Ruffle, Edging, etc.
-(optional) maybe something describing the problem such as "st count prob", or "straps too long," or row doesn't work.

When you first start testing, you may see some funky letters and numbers in the beginning of your post in parentheses. One example may be:

(Cv1D) V1C Rnd 4, Band, Size 3T, rnd not working.

The letters V1C are what you will write. The letters and numbers (CV1D) are not your imagination. And, No, it's not the Crochet Garden ghost writing those letters in front of your post. I put those letters in as a code. Here is how it works:
C- Corrected
V- Version, then followed by the version number.

So in our example, what you posted was an error in version 1C. In the example above, when you posted the correction, this would be what you would have written:

V1C Rnd 4, Band, Size 3T, rnd not working.

After I have looked at it and corrected it, the subject line will look like this:

V1C Rnd 4, Band, Size 3T, rnd not working.

I edit the subject line of your post and put as in this example (Cv1D), meaning the correction is made in version 1D. So when you return to a forum you are testing, you will be able to see what has been corrected, what hasn't and what version it is in. If you go to the download thread, you will be able to see if you have the latest version. If not, you can make notes on your current version of corrections I have made that you or someone else have posted.

At the bottom of each pattern is the version of the pattern in the footer. Versions start with the number 1, then go up by letter. So It starts with Version 1, then Version 1b, Version 1c, Version 1d, etc. Rarely do we get to version 2, unless there were a ton of errors! In the olden days at the Crochet Garden, we have some that are version 4 and such, but that is only because we would sometimes go up a number instead of a letter. But now, we just move up a letter. And versions are only put up when there are a few corrections to put in, or when there is a very important update to the pattern. So do check back often, as you never know when there is a post or when there is a new version.

No Code: If there is no code at the front of your post, it means it has not been contended with yet.
(?) - This usually means I may be needing you to answer something, and need a response from you.
(--) - This means no correction made, and none needed. Usually this is when a tester may have counted wrong, or was looking at the wrong area and they thought there was an error.

On that note, never ever be afraid to post anything. When in doubt, post. If unsure, post. It really, really helps me to see where everyone is coming from. We have many skill levels here, and it genuinely helps me to understand how different skill lvl crocheters see and work something. Even if you think you may be wrong, post it anyway! Post, post post. I want to see everything. Together we will work it out and get through it!

So many testers started here as beginners, and are now advanced Afraid of cables? Don't be. We will help you master them. If you are only an "easy" skill lvl crocheter, try an intermediate. You may be surprised. You will learn many skills and techniques here, as well as improving your skills in reading patterns.

POSTING YOUR CORRECTIONS
Now, let's look at that example again:

(Cv1D) V1C Rnd 4, Band, Size 3T, rnd not working.

The part in parentheses (Cv1D) is what I posted to be corrected. When you go to post a correction, in addition to puttig

SOME OTHER THOUGHTS
I have some testers who have told me, they did not post certain things because they wanted to leave some errors for others to post on. Please, please please do not do this. While it is a very kind gesture, too many times something has been missed, or something has happened and the correction never got in. As soon as you can post it. Most people get online when they can and post. I know some testers who test via email or with others sometimes wait for the testing to finish and put in all their findings.

I would prefer however, if you did not do this. The reason is, I often put up more versions for you to download. That way, you are always working from an updated pattern. Many people will be at different stages, and I feel this is the most efficient way to test on the forum with the abilities we have (in being able to upload new versions). So say there was a big error on the edging, 3 others that are not to that point yet will download the new version, and work against the correction. This will help to find if there are still errors there, or if it works with the new correction, kind of like a back-up check.

TREATMENT OF OTHERS, RELIGION, etc.
- No Caps! Caps is like shouting, so please, do not use caps, unless it is something you are quoting directly from a pattern. We are all ladies (and perhaps some gents) and should treat each other as such.
- You are free to express your religious thoughts, but only when it is appropriate to do so (for example, having a religious quote in your sig, or telling someone you will pray for them if there was an event or something. Do not use this as a medium for the intention of solely religious speaking in general. The purpose of this forum is crochet. However, we do have a special prayer lounge, for those who would like to participate.
- Be careful who you give your personal information to. While many of us here have known each other for years, this is still the internet. Please know the personal information you share with me stays with me; I do not share it with anyone, including other testers.
- If someone is bothering you on the board or you are feeling tension or any kind of stress, please, come to me and tell me what is going on. Together, we can figure out a solution and work it out.
- If someone posted a correction, which turns out is incorrect, please, use tact when posting. Be kind to each other. We have many different levels of crocheters here, and not everyone is well verses yet in the way things run here or my personal crochet writing style.
Last edited by Lisa on Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: update
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Re: BECOMING A TESTER- START HERE 2013 REVISED

Postby Lisa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:55 pm

This is now revised. Everyone please read this post as of Aug 1st 2013.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby lollielean » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 pm

I also ask that your project not be worn or worked in public as well. However, if there is a special event, you must contact me.)

This only applies to until the pattern is released correct? Just wanted to double check. I have a couple completed that I am waiting for the release before I give them away etc.
Thanks,
Calleen Petersen
lollielean

Cash on hand: 862.95
Bank: 266.11

Postby mrsmhill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:30 am

Same here. I had this cocooon outfit we did over a year ago and still hanging on to it.
Marg
mrsmhill

Cash on hand: 6,134.96
Bank: 884.12

Postby Nadine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:39 am

Yes, this is just until the patterns are released for publication. Just remember that even though a final version of a pattern may be ready, it may not be publically released yet.
Nadine

Cash on hand: 3,374.68
Bank: 4,213.15

Postby tinyteddies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:50 am

Where do I find the public questionnaire?
Sarah J.
http://j7troop.blogspot.com/

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
tinyteddies

Cash on hand: 331.08
Bank: 68.54

Postby mama_crochet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:35 am

I've read the testing rules and all and will soon be filling out the private questionnaire to you. Will do the public one when it is up.
Cheryl
mama_crochet

Cash on hand: 87.43

Postby mrsmhill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Read and sent in the private form:-)
mrsmhill

Cash on hand: 6,134.96
Bank: 884.12

Postby heart » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Have read and am sending in private form now.
Sarah
heart

Cash on hand: 3,150.70
Bank: 0.00

Postby Lisa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 am

I should have the public one ready this coming week sometime :)
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Next

Return to HOW TO BECOME A TESTER