DixieBelle left back asssistance

DixieBelle left back asssistance

Postby skdulcich » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm having some trouble with the left back of this pattern. I'm making the 18 mo. size. At the end of the left strap it says "Row 17: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, at end ch 10, turn. Do not fasten off." So, I now have this 10-chain tail hanging off the end of the left strap. Is it supposed to be on the armhole side or the neck side? Then the next step is Left Back: "Row 1: working on the wrong side, sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each of next 8 ch, (so now my tail has 2 rows of sc) working back on panel, sc in next 3 sc, turn--- (12) sc.

What does "working back on panel" mean? Where, exactly, am I supposed to put those 3 sc? Since the "front panel" is the only panel that is already worked, is that the panel being referred to?" Where on the panel do these 3 sc go, on the underarm area or the neck area? This is the most confusing pattern ever! Pictures sure would help here.

Sharon
skdulcich
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Cash on hand: 30.75

Re: DixieBelle left back asssistance

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 am

Hello Sharon!

Hopefully I can help you out here. Of that ch-9 that is dangling, you are going to work directly into that.
Here is the pattern posted for reference:

Row 17 (17, 17, 17, 19) || (19, 19, 19): Ch 1, sc in each sc across, at end ch 7 (8, 9, 10, 11) || (10, 11, 11), turn. Do not fasten off.

Left Back:
Row 1: (WS) Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 5 (6, 7, 8, 9) || (8, 9, 9) ch, working back on Panel, sc in next 3 (3, 3, 3, 3) || (4, 4, 4) sc, turn––9 (10, 11, 12, 13) || (13, 14, 14) sc.

When it says (in blue): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 5 (6, 7, 8, 9) || (8, 9, 9)
You want to work into those dangling chains you just made (in red).

When it says (in purple): working back on Panel, sc in next 3 (3, 3, 3, 3) || (4, 4, 4) sc, turn
You want to work into the sc that are on the panel that you worked before making making the chain in last row (in green).

The purple of creating the yoke this way, is that it works from the top down, and it can be tried on and adjusted as you go :) When you get through this part, you will be able to see how it works and is constructed. Let me know if this makes sense. Another thing you can do, is mark with a safety pin the last sc made on Row 17 (in green), that will help you spot also when you go to work in the panel again of where this exactly is.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Cash on hand: 24,256.55
Bank: 378.79

Postby skdulcich » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Thank you Lisa! I'm still a bit confused but not dumb! I can do this!! I'm making these for my granddaughters who are 6 mo & 21 months. After 7 boys in a row, these two little girls were quite a surprise & I want these dresses to look nice. I've been crocheting, quilting & sewing for more than 50 years & thought that I had pattern-reading down pat. This one has been a challenge......... :?

I understand that I am working at the end of the left strap & made a chain10 after row 17 of the left strap. I have worked the next section (given by you in blue) back on that chain: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 5 (6, 7, 8, 9) || (8, 9, 9).

The next part is still a little unclear..........."You want to work into the sc that are on the panel that you worked before making making the chain in last row (in green)." Since the chain was made at the last row of the strap, what panel are you referring to?

"Another thing you can do, is mark with a safety pin the last sc made on Row 17 " I have no trouble spotting row 17, but it's at the end of the strap, not a panel.

Sharon
skdulcich
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Yes you can do it :) And I DO need to make this clearer, only because it is such a different way of constructing, people are not used to it. I will get back on this and see what I can come up to help this in a visual way. Thanks for being so patient with me.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby skdulcich » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks again. I'm more than happy to be patient. I'm working on 1 large afghan & 2 quilts at the same time as doing this so I have things to keep my hands busy. :lol:

Sharon
skdulcich
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby skdulcich » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 am

Hello again, It's been a couple of months now and I'm wondering if you have been able to clarify these instructions yet? I'd love to finish this dress soon. These little girls are growing fast!!
skdulcich
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Tralee » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 am

The next part is still a little unclear..........."You want to work into the sc that are on the panel that you worked before making making the chain in last row (in green)." Since the chain was made at the last row of the strap, what panel are you referring to?

You will continue to work into the sc on the strap. Let me see if I can explain this, the thinner part will be coming up the shoulder, then the chs will make the piece become wider where it will go across the back to meet in the middle.
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.(I Corinthians 10:31 KJV)
Tralee

Cash on hand: 1,495.68
Bank: 0.00

Postby Lisa » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 pm

This pattern has now had a mini-overhaul :) Here are some photos I now have for the left back assistance. Also, please PM me with your email address of where you would like a revised copy of this pattern sent to. Let me know if these photos help.

The first photo shows you sc across the chains.

The second photo shows all chains with a sc worked in, and then after that, you will work into the next 3 sc (or however many sc you have for your size).

The last photos shows sc made in all the chains and the sc, and how the yoke will construct. It folds over to form the armholes and left back.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Postby skdulcich » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Yes indeed the revision helped a lot. :D I have finished one dress and am halfway thru the second. Since so much time had elapsed, I moved up to the 3T for the dress I'm now in the middle of. After checking back here today, I see that what I wound up changing in the pattern for the 3T size is exactly where the error had been in the original pattern. Here is a photo of the first dress. I said I could do this and I was right! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skdulcich
New Member or Tester
New Member or Tester

Postby Lisa » Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Wow that looks fantabulous and I LOVE the colors!!! You know I really need to do more in lavender! You should also post this in the Garden Forum, so more can see just how lovely this turns out. I am SO glad you were able to do this!!
Lisa
Absent Minded Designer
Absent Minded Designer

Return to Dixie Belle